New Painting from explorations eastbound

Oil on Canvas, 30x30


Here is a recent painting that I  have been working on which I think is finished. (Think) Although this panting illustrates a similar subject matter that is familiar to what I focused on during my "HERE" series using only text, what is different here is that I am trying to use only the marks that I need.  Distill it down to what is only necessary. When interested in repetition and mark making as I am, this can often become one of my biggest challenges in painting...I must continually remind myself to not to overwork a painting and take moments to pause. It's about creating a painting that has layers of complexity while also keeping the initial concept and visual idea fresh and coherent. In order to this this,  I often must force myself to walk away from a painting for a couple of weeks in order to gain a fresh perspective.  Sometimes leaving town and having multiple days go by without seeing a painting can help achieve this. Well, I did this here, and returned back to my studio a few days ago, mixed up some fresh paint, went back into it, and am now I wait.... for when my painting finally says to me, "Okay, Cameron, you can sign me now! ". I hope that my upcoming show at The Drawing Room down in Cos Cob, CT that opens next week, will nudge this particular painting to send me this message!

Comments

Popular Posts